For the past week we have came up with an idea to create a support group for children and young adults with type 1 diabetes. We did research and there are no diabetes support groups in Los Angeles at all. We figured that it would be a perfect idea to start one with the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles (CHLA) for their patients with Type 1 Diabetes. We also thought it would be convenient for us to hold the support group at Windward. Last week we also created a logo for our support group that we can use.
Since the support group idea was fairly new we didn't get much done but they all were really important in advancing our project. We needed Windward to host the support group so Kevin to told us to go to Jennie Wilens. We scheduled a meeting with her and we found out that planning a support group wouldn't be that easy. She said first we need to find a facilitator, somebody that would lead and organize the group. She also said that we would need she wasn't the one to talk to so she recommended that we talk to Dawn Barrett.
The next steps we plan on taking are very clear. First, we have to contact somebody to find out if we can get a counselor to lead the support group. Second, we have to then talk to Dawn Berret to see if we can have Windward host the support group. If Dawn approves, we can call different places to advertise and see if anyone is interested in coming to our meetings. We also have to finish our board for the presentation. So far, we think we are definitely on the right track and advancing towards our goal!
We have made some progress this week. Right now we are in the brainstorming process, and we are trying to come up with ideas that we could potentially try for our project. We have contacted some people, and plan on contacting more. We are mostly just planning out what we are going to do, so we can have a solid plan of attack. If we are organized and we execute, we are hoping our project will be awesome! We are all looking forward to making a change!
So far we have emailed a couple of people for information and possible connections. Our first email was to the company “Viacyte” and we were asking about information on their potential diabetes cure. We did receive an email back from a Viacyte representative, Howard. He said since the cure is still in trial his information was limited. We also sent some emails to the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).
Next we plan on receiving information back from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). If we gain positive information back from those companies, then we will proceed on our research and try and find solutions for this problem.
Our group was formed because we have a lot in common, and are a good fit for one another. We are all interested in helping people with Type 1 Diabetes, and we all get along and work well together. Between us all, we can accomplish many tasks and work very efficiently and effectively. With our group, we will definitely be able to get things done and hopefully make a significant difference in the community. We are looking forward to getting started on our project!
Type one diabetes is a chronic condition to where the pancreas doesn't produce insulin. If it does produce any, it's a very little amount of insulin. Type 1 diabetes cannot be cured. This type is mostly diagnosed in children and young adults. The body will break down all of the sugars and starches you eat which becomes glucose. The body will soon use that glucose for energy. Type 1 diabetes prevents the children and young adults from being able to utilize that glucose to its full potential.
We feel that type one diabetes is often overlooked because of it only accounting for 10% of all cases of diagnosed diabetes. Many people tend to focus on the other 90% of diagnosed diabetes because type two can be cured. We wanted to help the people affected by type one diabetes because of its minimal concern and its possibility to make difference. Though we understand that we can't cure type one diabetes, we have the dedication and drive to help the millions of lives that type one diabetes affects.